Photo taken by Peter Pomykacz on the Oak Ridges Moraine
Sign-up for EcoSpark's Newsletter!
MTM Partners wrap up the MTM Program
After eight years of working together on the landscape, EcoSpark and STORM Coalition will not be continuing with the Monitoring the Moraine Program. In its eight years, the MTM Partners have made significant progress towards their initial goals. We have done this by building momentum across the landscape, conducting community-based monitoring on the Moraine, and celebrating the Moraine’s land and water.
Building Momentum on the Moraine
- Since 2005, we have led 10 Moraine stakeholder meetings for 272 people, representing 100 stakeholders groups.
- From 2005-2008, we assembled and led the first 25-member multi-stakeholder advisory committee to prepare for the ORMCP Review.
- In 2010, we launched the first public awareness campaign about the 2015 Review of the ORMCP garnering support from 1,350 individuals.
Monitoring on the Moraine
- We developed Moraine Watch— the first policy monitoring program for volunteers—and tracked over 50 local issues across the landscape in a systematic way.
- From 2005 to 2011, we coordinated 13 Check Your Watershed Day events, working with 14 partners and 384 volunteers to monitor baseflow on 1327 streams in 13 Moraine-based watersheds.
- We produced the first series of reports to track municipal compliance and provincial progress on the ORMCP (2006, 2007, and 2012 Status Reports).
Celebrating the Moraine
- We inspired 146 photographers on the Moraine to take 892 photos of its land, water, plants, animals, and people.
- We recognized 33 Moraine Heroes, representing 2099 individuals who have all helped to make the Oak Ridges Moraine a better place to live, work and play.
- We celebrated our program milestones with 352 supporters (2006 MTM launch, 2010 Moraine Train, and MTM’s 5th anniversary in 2010)
MTM's achievements and progress made to date across the landscape have been tremendous. As such, the MTM Program will conclude this summer. We are confident that the grassroots movement we’ve contributed to will have a strong impact in protecting the Oak Ridges Moraine for 2015 and into the future.
STORM will continue to be part of this movement and will carry on working with the Moraine community and preparing for the 2015 review.
MTM Funders 2005 - 2012